Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Melbourne the bad weather and the great art galleries

Actually Melbourne is quite below my expectations. I used to thing that his should be a very beautiful and full of cultural atmosphere. Maybe it's due to the season, nows the chilling winter, so that the city is boring and ugly. But walking around the CBD is really not enjoyable to me. Even the walk from my hostel on City Road in Southbank to the famous St. Kilda surburb is a boring long way to me. I like walking, and I've been walking quite frequently along my journey in the past 2 months. Even in Darwin a walk can be fun, but here it's just making you feel that you had better stay in the hostel and watch the TV all day.

The weather here these days is so terrible. It rains and be windy almost everyday. The sky is usually gloomy. This makes the already not beautiful even uglier. The tram system is another of my dislikes to Melbourne. They simply make the city a noisy place. And they're so slow and expensive. The public transportation here is so worse than that of Brisbane. And the city is as a whole also worse than Brisbane. Staying here makes me miss Brisbane. The beautiful Brisbane River is far superior than the smelly Yarra River. And the streets of Brisbane is simply more beautiful and full of the cultural atmosphere that I look for.

The only thing by far I like about Melbourne is only the National Gallery of Victoria. It's a huge museum of fine arts. I'm amazed that I see genuine works of some very famous artists exhisbited there. And their exhibitions of ancient Egyptian, Chinese and European objects are simply fabulous. I'll go there again on Thursday. I have to say that I totally love the gallery.

No comments: