Friday, November 16, 2007

Carnarvon

We are now staying at Port Hotel in Carnarvon. We will begin grape picking from next Monday. I need to commit 3 months of seasonal work to apply for a second WHV.

There are several works to do in this agricultural center in north WA, but it's easier to get one through the hostels here. There are two backpacker hostels here. People say that Port Hotel is better because it has more job offers.
-----------
I left Carnarvon on 16 December. Totally I stayed about 6 weeks there. In the first week I had no work to do. My first work there was picking table grapes, it lasted for only one day, and on the next day I changed to work at a vegs and fruits packing shed. The pay was only 15.30 before tax, and my tax rate was over 20%. After working there for 5 weeks I could save up less than $1000 after spending the hostel rents and living costs. My work in the packing shed was mainly stacking the packed rockmelons, each of the carton could weigh around 20KG, and sometimes I had to stack more than 600 cartons in one day. The work was tough, but not lucrative, and that's why I decided to leave.

Other than working, the only things you can do in Carnarvon is sometimes you can rent a car to go to Coral Bay, Exmouth or Monkey Mia. Unfortunately I didn't have enough money to do that, but I don't think that's a loss because now I think everywhere in Australia looks similar, and I'll not apply for the second visa for the reason that now I reckon one year is enough.

No comments: