Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Jobs

I've been doing packing at a mail processing plant in Chatswood for a few days. That is a temporary and casual job which indicates that we don't work on a consistent routine but are asked to go to work and go back home according to the plant's needs. When we get to work we can earn like 100 dollars for a day of 7.5 hours of working. That is okay to maintain a life not too bad in Sydney, if you live economically you might also save some little money. But I don't know, I want to get more, a lot more, money.

I wanted to stay in this beautiful and lovable city until next January. I wanted to see the new year fireworks on Harbour Bridge. I wanted to experience more of living in a big city. I wanted more from this city. But after all, I need money. I think I need to save a lot to bring back home for some of my future plans. I forgot the reason why I came here. I thought I can live here like the other backpackers. But I can't. I currently have 3 job offers, none of them in Sydney. I eventually have to leave Sydney on next Tuesday.

I got another job offer today. It's a housekeeping work at a very exquisite resort on Bedarra Island. They would pay me 15 dollars per hour to work for 38 hours per week, and they charge 125 dollars per week for accommodation and food. It is so amazingly beautiful there. The island is in the Great Barrier Reef region. I always dream to live in a tropical paradise like that. I've never been to any place so sumptuous like that. Although as a housekeeper, I can still experience the grandeur of it. And the nature there, it's totally amazing. But I can't save enough money there.

The other job in north western Queensland, in Cloncurry, to spread seeds in the outback is attracting to me a lot as well. I love the outback, I love the nature. Camping under the millions of stars sounds so great. Riding motorbikes in the outback sounds wonderful as well. And I can save some money there, 120 per week totally will be saved. But the work will last only till mid December before the wet season begins. Somehow I also am afraid that I cannot endure that kind of wild life for too long.

Finally I decided to to to Moree to work for a McDonald's restaurant. The owner, Ben, sounds friendly on the phone. He will let me live in his home for 80 dollars per week. The pay will be 16 dollars per hour, and there will be more than 38 working hours per week. Sounds temptng. I found on the internet that Moree is a place famous for its hot springs. I hope it will be a good experience being there. I've booked a Country Link train ticket to go to Moree on next Tuesday at 10 o'clock. It costs 58 dollars for a seat of the economic class. It will take me 9 hours to get there.

I'm sad that I'm always in deep need of money. I feel unhappy. But I have to face the reality after all.

No comments: