Saturday, August 25, 2007

Moree, the Extreme Boredom

I left Sydney for Moree by Country Link train, AU$58, on the 7th of August. This is a very small and rural town in the north east plain of New South Wales. This place is closer to Brisbane than Sydney.

It has a population of less than 3000 people. The downtown, if there's such a thing, is very small and nothing special. Actually the whole town is full of nothingness and boredom. If I was not working here, I don't want to stay here for any single day.

I'm currently working at the McDonald's here, and I'm living at one of the managers', Ben's, house for 80 bucks a week. The Macca's about 15 minutes of walking from where I live.

I found this work through a post by Sharon, an agent at Bligh job agency, on Travellers at Work. She told me that I can work for as many as 60 hours or more a week, and the pay would be at least 17.5 bucks per hour. But in the first week I earned only 200 bucks, because I did not have many working hours. Same condition in the 2nd week, only because they called me to work on last Sunday, on which the pay is much more at about 25 bucks per hour, so I can earn 500 bucks.

I was already worried last week about my lack of working hour. Someday last week Sharon called me concerning my current condition. I had told her that I did not work enough, but she seemed to did not call my manager. She just told me that should I have any problem just call her. When I saw my next week's roster a few days ago I found that I still would have very few hours, I felt very depressed and disturbed. Moree is a place so boring. If you're not workinh you've got nothing else to do except for sleeping or watching TV. And since I came to such a place from the biggest city I especially felt that I was wasting my time in Australia.

So I called Sharon a few days ago to tell her that I still would not get enough hours next week and my concerns. She latter finally called my manager, and then my manager promised me that he will give me more. I then already get more hours in these 2 days. Like today I started working at 6AM, and then got a rest at 4PM, and then will go to work again from 9PM to 11:30PM. I feel really exhausted now, but I finally get what I want that is the chance to save some money for my latter travels.

I currently live with a Dutch guy, Haije. But he's been working here for more than 2 months, and he's leaving tomorrow. He's saved more than 5 grands in these 2 months. I would like to work like he does, but that would be really tough to me. I feel really very tired.

In these few weeks, the things I had done were merely working, sleeping and watching TV. I didn't even have an opportunity to access the internet. Just today I used my manager's computer to check my emails and hop on here to make a record of my dull life here.

I don't like most of the coworkers at the Macca's. So far I havn't yet found any single Australian that I like. They're simply arrogant and making me feel unpleasant. I will have to endure and tolerate everything in the coming months of working here. And I do not know when will I have another chance to get online...

No comments: