Thursday, April 26, 2007

Tour to Litchfield National Park and Kakadu National Park

I booked a 4-day combined tour to both Litchfield NP and Kakadu NP for a total pf AU$500 at Chili's Backpackers. The tour was conducted by Kakadu Dreams travel agency.

I went to Litchfield at 7:00 on 23, Apr. It took us, a group of 9, almost 2 hours to get there. There are many beautiful waterfalls in the park. We walked to 3 of them, and swam in the ponds under 2 of the waterfalls. Generally it was a very beautiful place. We came back to Darwin around 7:00 PM. The tour guide gave each of us a voucher to a bar for a free meal. I went to have the dinner with one of my German roommate, Thomas. He's only 20 years old, and he's been in OZ for 8 months. He's left for Broom and latter Perth already.

Next day at the same time, and again 9 members, we got on the 4WD truck to Kakadu. Our driver and guide was Dean. He's a nice guy, he knows a lot about the parks and he's kind of a natural guy, he walked with bare feet quite often, and he's big beard, and dirty jeans.

Kakadu is a even more beautiful place and huge place then Litchfield. A stay for 3 days may better lead you know it better. But unfortunately in the daytime, there are many flies disturbing you everywhere. There are many indigenous art heritages in the park. The indigenous people painted on many big rocks. The paintings were unique and interesting. Dean led us to 2 lookouts. On the lookouts we saw the most beautiful and hugely vast views of Kakadu. It was simply beautiful on the lookouts.

In the evening we went to a campsite and prepared dinner there. The nighttime was very bad with countless mosquitoes everywhere and at every minute attacking you. The insect repellents we have were all useless. The mosquitos were not scared of them at all.

Dean cooked some hot salad, buffalo sausages and kangaroo meat for our dinner. That's the first time I had buffalo and kangaroo. They were both not bad. Kangaroo tasted quite similar to beef to me.

After taking a shower, I went into the tent to sleep. I shared a tent with an English middle-aged man. I think he's arrogant, ignorant and unfriendly. He thoug that it's too hot in the tent, so he simply opened the doord of the tent. But of course the mosquitoes all swarmed into the tent. I really hated that and I also hated him. I took all my stuffs out of the tent, and sat between the tents thinking I might be able to listen to some music with my media player until the dawn. But I was attacked by more mosquitoes. I thought maybe it wouldbe better in the truck, but it was not as well. I didn't sleep all night. The only thing good at that night was that there were so many stars in the sky, and I saw several shotting stars. I never saw so many stars in Taiwan, it was simply beautiful.

On the next day, when my anticipating daytime arrived finally, we went to several waterfalls and swam in some of them just like in Litchfield. However, I think that the waterfalls in Litchfield were more beautiful. And I was so tired because I didn't get any sleep. In the afternoon, I dicided I have to return to Darwin with the other 2-day participants. So I came back to Darwin one day earlier.

There were some nice Dannish and Swiss in our group to Kakadu. I enjoyed a lot talking with them. The 2 Dannish girls were very beautiful and funny. On the way back to Darwin, we learned some of both of our languages. It was fun on the way.

No comments: