Monday, July 9, 2007

Sydney


I'm now in Sydney. The biggest city in Australia. The city that's named one of the most beautiful ones in the world. The one with the world know OPERA HOUSE. The one where the fireworks at the new year's day's midnight are said to be a must see. The one with a bridge that many people would spend a lot money to climb. I'm here on last Saturday at 10:30AM after a 18-hour long bus ride.

After I arrived at the Central Station, I felt liking the city immediately. Yes, I like the place where there are a lot of people. I feel more relieved. There is an information office right there in the same building, and I took a city map from it. I was not familiar with the city at all, and with my excessive luggage, I was not able to explore where my hostel would be on foot. I decided to take taxi, and it took me 14 dollars, and only around 5 minute's ride.

The hostel, Rooftop Travellers Lodge, is in Glebe. A suburb not far away from the Central Station. The check-in time is 2:00PM, so I had to store my luggage there and went out to fool around for a few hours.

The weather that day was so good. The beautiful blue sky and the comfy breeze all made it even more enjoyable. I was tired because of the earlier long bus ride, so I didn't want to walk too far. I was merely strolling along the adjacent streets. I walked to the Glebe tram stop, and then back to Glebe Point Road. I then found there was a market at a school on that road. There were stalls selling decorations, clothes, foods, artworks and other things. And there was a live band performing there singing some beautiful songs. It was fun visiting the market. I bought a kind of Turkish pancake and a cup of lemonade, finished them. Then I sat opposite to the band across a meadow, listened to their songs and looked at the people and the surroundings around me. I quite liked it. Then on the way back to the hostel, I had a $7 Thai meal which was not too bad.

There was still some time left before I could check in. I sat on the bench across the road in front of the hostel. When the time was ready, I checked in. i was amazed of what we got in the room. With 20 dollars per night, we got a 4-people dorm with ensuite bathroom and toilet, computer with free internet, 2 fridges, big closets, free washing machines and dryers, and a good view of the CBD on the rooftop. It was good, so far the best one I ever lived in Australia.

In these few days I've been to Darling Harbour, Maritime Museum, Chinatown, Paddy's Markets, Fish Market, and of course the Opera house with the Harbour bridge in the background. Only that it is raining today and yesterday. But I still like it here.

I hope I can find a job and a house to rent A.S.A.P. If could, I would stay in Sydney for the following 6 months until next January.

No comments: