Thursday, May 3, 2007

Things to do in Darwin

The internet access here at hostels are very expensive at $1 per 15 minutes. So I typically go to the libraries to use the free internet. There are 2 libraries here, one's in the Parliament building, it opens between 10:00 to 17:30 during weekdays, and also opens on the weekends for less hours. The other is the city Council Library, it opens between 9:00 and 17:00 on weekdays, and 9:00~12:00 on Saturdays.

The toilets of the parliament building are quite clean, and the toilet paper is better than that in hostels. So it's a good place to go if you don't like the toilets of the hostel.

At Cullen Bay, onday I took the ferry to Mandorah. The return ticket costs $20. On the way to Mandorah I saw many box jellyfishes in the water. They're as lethal as mines. It was good to sail in the sea, very beautiful, but was pitiful that I didn't carry me camera with me. Mandorah is a penninsula at the opposite side of Darwin. The ferry sailed for around 20 minutes to get there. There's nothing much to do there. Just a bar you can have some drinks and listen to the music and watch the sea. But it was comfortable there. And in a tree beside the bar are many noisy parrots. There is also a woman selling some hand-made necklaces, ear rings and other jewelry at the bar. I saw a beautiful necklace with glass chilipeppers from Brazil and a pendent from Africa. But it was expensive at $40.

The restaurants at Cullen Bay are all very expensive. After return from Mandorah, I was thinking about having lunch at a bar where most people are, but after seeing the menu I can only order a bottle of Fiji mineral water at $8. The other foods cost around $25 and more.

No comments: